Thursday, April 28, 2016

B4 Ch5 Planning - part1

Hydra led the team through the maze of tunnels, swerving around invisible obstacles and chatting with her intruders.

Hydra: Sorry for attacking you, earlier.

Sapphire: You didn't kill me, so I guess it's alright.

Hydra: I've had so many unwanted house-guests coming into my den lately, I'm starting to think I should eat them...

Fang: Do you think they would taste nice?

Hydra: To be honest, no. But I'd get rid of them for good.

Barak: ... How long until we stop? I can't see anything!

Hydra: Patience, young Dragon.We've arrived.





The Dragon entered a nicely lit area, filled with kelp with the odd treasure here and there. Hydra sat down on the floor, and motioned for the others to find somewhere comfy.

Fang: Nice place you got.

Hydra: Yes. After a few years of digging out the tunnels, I made a room out of a hidden sealed cave and turned it into part of my watery hideout.

Barak: Do you stay here all the time? Don't you need to breath fresh air?

Hydra: No. I'm from the IseiStar Clan, meaning I was born with gills that allow me to stay under the water for as long as I like without worry of drowning!

Sapphire: And Barak's gills can't?

Hydra: No. They can last for a while underwater, but he needs to breath real air after a few hours.

Sapphire: You mentioned something about clans... Tell us - can you explain to us where Barak originally came from?

Hydra: I'm afraid I can't. I was born a few hundred years after the war between the Vampires and UnMythics started, and my grandparents never talked about it much.

Sapphire: So there's nothing you can tell us?

Hydra: Nothing solid, anyway. But by seeing the Champion right here in front of me, I'd bet he's a SoulSun Dragon... Or a mix-blood. That's possible too.

Barak: Mix-blood?

Hydra: It means you're parents came from different clans.

Sapphire: And why do you think that?

Hydra: Back when I attacked you, he used what we Dragons call 'The power of Plasma'. It's a combination of fire and lightning, and a dangerous thing to control... Although you seemed just fine back there, so maybe I'm wrong.

Hydra gave a hard look into Barak's eyes, until Sapphire's stomach growled, making the big Dragon remember she had guests.

Hydra: Well, that's enough chatter. How about having something to eat?


Sapphire: Sure! I'm hungry.

Hydra: Good. I'll go and round up some fish... Barak, would you please assist me?

Barak looked at Fang, who nodded and jumped off of him. Fang swam over to Sapphire, and waved an arm at the small green Dragon.

Fang: It'll be good for you. Go out there and spend some time with a real Dragon!

Barak: But-

Fang: Don't argue! Off you go!

Barak gloomily turned around to follow Hydra back to the open sea, leaving Sapphire and Fang by themselves.

*****

When the two Dragons came back with some fish, they found Sapphire and Fang playing a game of naughts and crosses. They both looked up from their game as they entered the cave.

Barak: We're back! And we got food!

Sapphire: Wow, that didn't take long. Toss me a fish!

Barak threw a fish at her and blasted it with a blue fire, startling Sapphire and Fang.

Fang: ... When did you learn to do that?

Barak: Hydra taught me. It can burn in water!

Sapphire: Great. Now my food is on fire, and water can't help. Thanks, Barak...

Barak: You're welcome!... Oh... You didn't want it that way?

Sapphire: It would have been fine raw.

Hydra slapped a fish in Fang's directions, and the spider happily grabbed into it and started munching. The old Dragon slumped down into the sand and swallowed some fish. After Sapphire's meal had cooled down, she bit into it gratefully.


Sapphire: I prefer this food over the feast the queen gave me. Not as rich, and definitely tastier!

Hydra: I'm glad you like it. I prefer tuna over salted clam-shell salad myself.

Barak swallowed his fish whole, and turned to Hydra to ask the question that had been on their minds for some time.

Barak: Are you protecting treasure, Hydra?

Hydra: Yes... And no.

Barak: ... That didn't answer my question.

Hydra: There is, but It's well hidden.

Barak: Could you show us?

Hydra thoughtfully stared at Barak before nodding her head.

Hydra: Alright. I feel reckless. Come this way...

Hydra turned around and headed down another passageway. Barak followed her, with Sapphire and Fang close behind.

When the reached the end of the tunnel, they entered a large cave with loads of chests, piles of gold, silver, and jewels, and all sorts of shiny objects. Sapphire and Barak started in amazement as Hydra circled a large chest, filled with shining cold coins.

Hydra: The treasure I'm guarding is somewhere in this room. Can you guess what, and where it is?

Barak immediately started searching for the treasure. He first zoomed over to a sparkling silver crown, and pointed to it.

Barak: This?

Hydra shook her head, and Barak continued looking. He kept pointing to all sorts of objects, until Sapphire face palmed and joined in the search.

Barak: Is it this?


Hydra: No.

Sapphire: What about this gem? It's huge!

Hydra: Not that, either.

Barak and Sapphire kept making guesses, asking Hydra whether it was the right thing or not.

Sapphire: If it isn't this cool looking scepter thingy, I don't know what it is!

Hydra: That's not the treasure I'm guarding.

Sapphire: Then what is it?

Hydra said nothing, and carried on swishing her tail back and forth.

Fang: ... Those are some big Dragon eggs!

Sapphire and Barak turned around in surprise, and saw Fang floating near what appeared to be three smooth oval rocks. Hydra seemed impressed, but also a little suspicious.

Hydra: Mm... Yes, they are bigger then normal eggs. How did you know they were Dragon eggs? I had the impression you were a normal spider...





Sapphire: Spider, yes. Normal, no.

Fang shrugged, and casually folded two of his arms behind his head.

Fang: I was with Ruby and Midnight when they found Barak as an egg. Plus, it's hard to forget something that practically explodes when hatched.

Barak swam up to the three large eggs, and gave one a tap. He looked up at Hydra with a puzzled look.

Barak: Is this the treasure you're protecting?

Hydra: Yes.

Sapphire: Why? I mean, I get that they are Dragons eggs, but... Why? Are they special?

Hydra: Very. I've been told that these eggs will hatch when the world needs them most.

Barak: ... And when will that be?

Hydra shrugged, and swiped her tail over one of the eggs protectively.

Hydra: I don't know. Months, years, decades... Prophecies are strange like that - They rarely tell a specific date. But I probably wont be around then... I'll just guard them for as long as I can.

The ancient Dragon sighed and sat down near a rusty treasure chest. Barak paddled up to her, a little concerned.

Barak: Are you alright?

Hydra nodded vaguely, and glanced at the Dragon eggs with a strange look in her eyes.

Hydra: Yes. It's just I'm an old Dragon now. There isn't a whole lot I'm good for outside my clan. I just want to do something useful for the world before I become nothing more then the bubbles in the current...

Fang: ... Does killing annoying queens count?

Sapphire aimed a hit at the red spider, but Fang dodged and hid behind Barak.



Sapphire: FANG! You can't just kill royalty!

Fang: Why not?

Sapphire: It'll end up in a royal ruckus. Those are a pain to deal with.

Fang: We wont be the ones dealing with it. But seriously, does getting rid of selfish queens count as a service to the world?

Hydra shook thoughtfully, and looked off into the distance for a bit before replying.

Hydra: Well... I don't think we should kill Oceania, but... I have been chasing off the her treasure-hunting fools for years, and (to be frank) I'm sick of it.

Sapphire: Then what do you suggest we do?

Hydra slyly looked around at the others, before slowly answering.

Hydra: I was thinking... payback.

Sapphire grinned and cracked her knuckles loudly.

Sapphire: Now you're speaking my language! What did you have in mind, oh great sea Dragon?

1 comment: